Search This Blog

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Why Plan and Prepare to find Peace?

It's funny, but I've never been asked this question, but it's a question I ask myself.  Why did I plan and prepare in case anything should happen to me?  My answer is always "My children."

I learned first-handedly how difficult it is to work through a medical emergency when you or the person you are caring for are not prepared.  I do not always wish to return my thoughts to these days, but for the sake of this blog, I will go back six years when my mother first became ill and passed a devastatingly long five months later.  We thought we had things in order for her when she signed a simple statement that said she did not want to be kept on life support.  Wow, was that ever a mistake! 

What does it mean, Not kept on life support?  Did she want procedures done that would not prolong her life, but would tell the doctors what's going on inside of her so that we could make medical decisions for her?  How long did she want to be on medications once it was determined she was in her last few weeks?  That simple form the hospital gave us did not cover either of these questions and caused major disruption within our family. 

That experience woke me up and fast. 

After my mother passed, I took a hard look at my own will and medical declarations.  I had a will but it did not cover what my wishes were regarding how my children would be taken care of.  Nor did it have the right guardians and agents in it.  I made earlier decisions on diplomacy, rather than who would rear my children as I would.  When my mother passed, I set a task for myself to get a real will that covered my children based on our lives at that time, and not in the past. 

I know that my current durable medical power of attorney (my wonderful sister-in-law, Jean) will take care of business for me when I am not able to.  I have shared with her what I want to happen and there will be limited decisions on her part when I am unable to communicate my wishes.   The same is true with my durable financial power of attorney (my wonderful niece, Sandy Kay). 

Do I have everything organized and ready should something happen. Not a chance!  I live a very busy life as a single mom of two active teenagers and I love every minute of this busy, sometimes hectic life, so things slip and don't get done.  But can my power of attorneys step in for me and take over fairly fast?  Definitely, yes.

Can you say the same?  What would happen should you be in an accident and unable to speak?  Who can step into your shoes (power of attorney) and tell the doctors what you want?  Who would take care of your children or dependents?  They are the real reason we all need to plan and prepare.  And once you are prepared, you will be able to let go and have peace, knowing your loved ones (and you!) are taken care of.
Until next time,

Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all comments about my blogs! Before posting, however, I will review them to ensure appropriate content. I promise I will never edit or remove content from your comments. I look forward to hearing from you!


Kay