Search This Blog

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Taking care of aging parents

One story I have in my book applies to so many of us in the sandwich generation. We are still taking care of our children, either at home or at college, and our parents are beginning to need our help, too. See if this story applies to you:

         " John is aging, his health is failing, and his children are very concerned about his living alone. What happens if John falls and a neighbor calls 911? Who would know what medications John needs or had taken that day?  Who would know that John is allergic to a medication that gives him shingles?  And what about that heart condition that John has and the medication he takes that thins his blood?  Would anyone know that John cannot have a blood transfusion due to this medication?" 

                    Planning, Preparing and Peace, Page 88

I often hear from adult children who have an aging parent living at home alone and about the fears the children have about these circumstances.  Their concerns are very real about what could happen in an emergency.

Fortunately, documenting medical information and making it available for emergency resonse teams, as well as other medical care providers, is an easy task to complete with the worksheets I designed with all of us in mind.  

Simple worksheets are located at the end of my book and will be available soon on-line from my website (http://www.kaydiller.com) and were created with the idea that you would complete them based on your particular needs.  I'm sure you'll have other worksheets that you need that are not yet part of my collection - so if you have other ideas for worksheets, please be sure to let me know!

Taking care of aging parent is scary and difficult.  Please use my worksheets to help lesson your burden.  I spent many, many hours creating these worksheets so that should something happen, you will be as prepared as you can be.  

Until next time,


Kay 

2 comments:

  1. Great idea, Kay! In fact, it might be good for anyone living alone or single parents to fill this out and prepare for an unexpected emergency...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting, of course. There are many of us that have felt this squeeze. My children were babies when my mother was dying and I know how difficult it felt to be nursing a little one then trying to keep my mother from setting her house on fire and still keep her feeling independent. I certainly didn't feel I had my own life in the midst of all that.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all comments about my blogs! Before posting, however, I will review them to ensure appropriate content. I promise I will never edit or remove content from your comments. I look forward to hearing from you!


Kay