Search This Blog

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Getting and staying strong

Staying healthy is a challenge, especially for those of us no longer in our 20's.  Avoiding medical emergencies such as diabetes, heart failure and even cancer can be minimized by watching our weight and what we eat and making sure we get enough sleep - or in other words, by changing our life style to one where we take better care of ourselves.   


I've been reading lately about the importance of sleep.  I did not realize that cancer loves it when we don't get enough sleep (Yikes, when I think of those sleepless nights when I knew I was going to lose my job!). Cancer also loves sugar and hates oxygen, so lowering our sugar intake and exercising (which increases oxygen in our bodies) are great ways to keep ourselves healthy and looking great, too! 

I have a saying that I tell my kids all the time:  You cannot avoid life.  

There are challenges and obstacles in life even when we do everything we are supposed to do for a life style that is conducive to good health and well being. 

By being mindful of what we eat, how much sleep we get, and the quality of people we hang out with (positive people help our immune system) can make the difference between unnecessary medical emergencies and hospital stays that we could have avoided.  

Did I mention that sharing time with positive people has a strong impact on our immune system, too?  Well, it was worth repeating.  


Take care,
Kay


 

2 comments:

  1. back in the early '80s, i had alopecia areata - considered an autoimmune thing. then later in the early '90s, another kind of funky autoimmune eye thing. i believe that since the early'90s, after meeting a naturopath and becoming more aware of those potential not-so-positive influences on the immune system ... yes(!), positive people are great ... and attracting positive people is a good sign, also!

    great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminders of the importance of a healthy lifestyle. I've struggled with insomnia for most of my adult life but somehow in the last couple of years (after giving up even over-the-counter pills) I have been sleeping better!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all comments about my blogs! Before posting, however, I will review them to ensure appropriate content. I promise I will never edit or remove content from your comments. I look forward to hearing from you!


Kay